Going Digitally

With a new muse, I set about to a difficult task: research on the muses likes and dislikes, create a paper prototype and then create a digital prototype, all in 10 days. Researching was easy: just sit down and talk to your muse a couple of time, finding out what her likes and dislikes are. The hard part is when it comes to put those ideas to paper.

I had a stroke of luck though, I must say. Around that same period I had decided to make all kinds of different prototypes that I would use in a sort of repository so that if I would need one mechanic, I would know where to get it from, without resorting to google and trying to adapt some foreign code. While working on a prototype for a platformer side scrolling controller, my muse was around the same room I was in, and noticing me working on that, told me that she found it quite interesting and that she likes how it is as an idea. I took that to consideration and decided to expand on that prototype and add basic enemies and collectibles and an ending.
I had her try it to which her feedback was that this kind of prototype was exactly what she wanted.

I was then in some sort of Limbo: should I do a paper-prototype if I already have a digital prototype that fits my muse’s needs or not? Asking the lecturer, he told me that it would be OK. There would not be a great need to develop a paper prototype if the digital one already fulfills the right functions, thus I went digital with it.

Thus, I want to say: “Thank you, Unity”. It is so simple and friendly to work with, even though its bugs can be pretty nasty sometimes. It is unity’s rapid prototyping capabilities that enabled me to build a digital prototype faster than I did a paper one and I was also able to test it on my muse without explaining the muse and acting as a gamemaster, in a way letting my muse believe that there is no random or alea element in her play, giving her feel like the rules are there to help, making the game more of a agon play.

For the basic prototype that I handed in I had just used Unity’s primitives, but on further instances I had added models created in 3Ds Max and music created using Ableton Live, though I did try some classical music.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>